After a lazy Sunday afternoon watching TLC’s “Cake Boss“, I was left with all things Cake on my mind. From the elaborate structures, to the delicate detailed decorations, I was fully blown by the Masterpieces of Buddy Valastro!
So, we at Dream Weddings invited all Master Bakers to come forward and introduce themselves. Here are some of our top tips on what’s trending in 2016 and also a few recommendations:
- The Semi Naked Cake – The very popular naked cake that we have seen trending over the past few years, has now evolved (and covered up a little), creating a semi naked effect. Also known as the “dirty” cake, this messy approach gives an effortless look, usually combined with a beautiful flower detail to bring this cake to life. Our favourite semi-naked cake design is by Miss Molly’s Pastries.
- Colour Drip Cakes – This style of cake takes the saying “A splash of colour” to a whole new level. Using a contrasting coloured icing on the cake base and over the top, gives it the cake a simple but eye catching effect. The Drip effect that caught our eye was created by “cakes by cliff”.
- The “Non-Cake” Wedding cake – Not every couple is a fan of cake and 2016 has seen elaborate alternatives develop. Our favourite non-cake creation is the “strawberry tower”. This design consists of beautifully decorated strawberries, which are tiered into an elegant structure. Leyara Cakes have created a gorgeous and romantic strawberry tower, fit for a fairy tale wedding.
- The Metallic Cake –This loud and bold effect will literally light up your dessert table. The inclusion of metallic shades provides a royal, yet glamorous look. We love the “gold leaf effect” which is a more subtle approach to the addition of metallic colours. Cake 2 Cupcakes have a beautiful metallic design, which uses both a daring metallic base tier with the gold leaf affect ascending from it.
- The “Bits, scraps and all sorts” Cake – This is the perfect option for couples stuck for choice. Choosing the perfect cake is a tough job, especially when you’re a cake lover like me. So why not have a selection of cakes, decorated with the same theme. Cake designer, Tracey James from Cotton & Crumbs based in the West Midlands, wowed us with her cake display.
OUR WEDDING CAKE RECOMMENDATIONS:
The Dream Weddings’ top recommendation goes to White Lace Cakes. We were contacted by the fabulous owner and cake designer, Lindsay. Lindsay & her husband Graham are fully self taught Wedding Cake professionals, whose passion for cake making has driven them to make their dream job a reality. White Lace Cakes shared with us a selection of their most recent designs and we were thoroughly impressed by the gorgeous variety they had to show. White Lace Cakes thrives its business on creating cakes that taste just as good as they look and judging from what we’ve seen, we can imagine how great these cakes must taste! Here’s a sneak peak of their most recent designs (below). Should you have any enquiries about White laces cakes, please visit their website www.whitelacecakes.co.uk . Alternatively you can visit their Facebook page.
Our Second recommendation goes to Iced Cake Parlour. We had a comment from one of our lovely followers, Bethan, who stated that Iced laced parlour was “Quite possibly the most amazing edible works of art in Wales”. For more information on Iced laced parlours, please visit https://www.facebook.com/icedcakeparlour/
Thank you for all your responses! If you have any cake related news or businesses you’d wish to recommend or share with us, please do not hesitate to get in contact!
[All Image Rights to their Owners].